by Suzanne Burden
If you had to pick just one resource on spiritual formation, what would it be?
If you are stumped, you are not alone. I asked my fellow members of Redbud Writer’s Guild the same question and my sisters struggled to narrow it down. Here’s to the amazing ladies who managed the great feat of picking just one:
- Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster (Suzanne Burden)
- Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups by Richard J. Foster and James Bryan Smith (Whitney Simpson)
- The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering our Hidden Life in God by Dallas Willard (Aleah Marsden; Karen Yates)
- Idol Lies: Facing the Truth about Our Deepest Desires by Dee Brestin (Margaret Philbrick)
- In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henry Nouwen (Trina Pockett; Melody Hanson Harrison)
- The Inner Voice of Love: a Journey through Anguish to Freedom by Henry J.M. Nouwen (Shayne Moore)
- Invitation to a Journey: a Roadmap for Spiritual Formation by M. Robert Mulholland, Jr. (Vivian Mabuni)
- Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God’s Transforming Presence by Ruth Haley Barton (Natasha Robinson)
- Invitations from God by Adele Calhoun (Judy Douglass)
- Receiving the Day: Christian Practices for Opening the Gift of Time by Dorothy Bass (Kelli Trujillo)
- Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation by Ruth Haley Barton (Terri Kraus)
- Shaped by the Cross: Meditations on the Suffering of Jesus by Ken Gire (Nicole Unice)
- A Tale of Three Kings: a Study in Brokenness by Gene Edwards (Connie Smith Jakab)
- When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life’s Sacred Questions by Sue Monk Kidd (Marti Oti Sears)
Your turn: If you had to pick one resource on spiritual formation what would it be and why?
Among other things, I am a storyteller, a writer and a theologian who is still finding-my-way. But most especially, I am God’s beloved. I am the one that Jesus loves, and he delights in me. It took years for me to speak these words out loud, to own their significance and weight, to utter them with assurance. Now that I have, I find myself on a mission to empower others to say the same.